For some years now, there has been an exciting gadget on the mobile phone market: the smartwatch. You are interested in this and are considering buying one – but want to find out first whether it suits you? Here you get a decision aid and read what advantages and disadvantages a smartwatch has.
What can a smartwatch do?
A smartwatch is in many cases a useful extension for your smartphone. For example, you can use it to read text messages, check the weather forecast, listen to your favorite music, and easily read your fitness data. Of course, its range of functions is somewhat limited, so it is particularly suitable in situations in which you cannot constantly hold your phone in your hand. But what about the advantages and disadvantages of smartwatches overall?
Advantages of smartwatches
There are good reasons why smartwatches are becoming increasingly popular.
- Control smartphone and smart home: make adjustments to your heating settings at home via your smartwatch, for example, or switch the ringtone on your smartphone off or on. Entering commands on the watch can sometimes be tedious, but there are now many models with voice control.
- Reading messages inconspicuously: Sometimes there are situations in which the use of a cell phone is simply inappropriate, for example in a meeting. If you have a smartwatch on your wrist, you can see at a glance what is happening on your smartphone. If a message arrives or someone calls you, you can react to it immediately at the next opportunity.
- Measure fitness and health data: Many users prefer to use their smartwatch to track their fitness status. Do you want to use a pedometer or know your heart rate while running? No problem with a smartwatch. Some models can also collect data about your sleeping behavior and give you suggestions on how you can improve it. In the future, the little companions should even be able to recognize diabetes and warn epileptics of an attack.
- Comfortable navigation: Are you an outdoor fan? Even then, a smartwatch can offer you many exciting functions. Special models have a battery life of up to 7 days and help you to find your way in the field or on the road.
- Contactless payment: Now you can not only pay for your purchases with your smartphone but also with your smartwatch. Getting the phone or cash out of the way? It’s faster with your companion on your wrist.
- Perfect for technology freaks: Last but not least, a smartwatch is just fun. Of course, anyone who loves technology always wants to be networked as well as possible. In this case, the smartwatch is an ideal addition to a cell phone.
Disadvantages of smartwatches
On the other hand, there are of course some contra points that speak against a smartwatch for